Newspapers from across the political divide are united in their belief Liberal Democrats have been a force for good in the previous government.
In their editorials, national titles recognised the Liberal Democrats achievements in government and the stability the party has brought to the country in the last five years.
- The Independent: Many of the Government’s achievements are owed to the Liberal Democrats. The party has been “a force for progress”. The Coalition deserves another chance.
- The FT: The country would benefit from Liberal Democrat “moderation” in Westminster” – in seats where the Lib Dems are challenging “we would vote tactically for them.”
- The Times: The best hope for the country is for the Conservatives to team up with the Liberal Democrats again. Vote for Nick Clegg in Sheffield Hallam.
- The Guardian: “...the next Commons would be enhanced by the presence of Lib Dem MPs.” Vote for the Liberal Democrats in Tory-facing seats.
- Sunday Times: Nick Clegg and his Lib Dem colleagues deserve to stay. Tory supporters in Labour-Lib Dem marginals “may wish to vote for the Lib Dem candidate”.
- The Sun: Where only the Lib Dems can beat Labour, “give the Lib Dems your vote this time”.
- The Economist: The best hope for Britain is with a continuation of the Coalition.
- The People: Lib Dems tempered Tory excess and delivered the last government’s greatest success with a tax-free allowance worth £800.
The then Deputy Prime Minister and Liberal Democrat Leader Nick Clegg said:
“Our party put the country first and shown that coalitions can be strong and stable.
“It’s wonderful that even our harshest critics now acknowledge the Liberal Democrats have been, and will be, a force for good in British public life.”